- me: today I'm gonna pay attention in class and I gonna rock that exam aw yeah
- brain: thinks about OTP
- me: no brain stop
- brain: OTP angst
- me: brain no
- brain: OTP fluff
- brain: OTP smut
- brain: O T P
Kaiba notices things which aren’t perfect, and Kaiba notices Jounouchi. Onesided Kaiba/Jounouchi. Ficlet.
Just a little piece of JouKai, testing out an obsessive!Kaiba dynamic. I’m trying to improve on keeping my structure, syntax, and style cohesive, and this was largely an exercise in that.
Obsessive!OCD!Kaiba. Love it!
And short enough to keep my attention span ^^”
In no particular order and I am sure everyone who likes a popular pairing has these issues.
1. Kaiba interpretation by me and others. It is very annoying to have someone sit there and tell you that your favorite puppyshipping story is OOC because of Kaiba and what they believe Kaiba should be like, act like, whatever. It is very hard to say what he would actually be like in a relationship because he really does have a lot of contradictory aspects and he changes so much throughout the series, how are we to know how much more he changes when he is an adult and furthermore middle aged. I think there are a lot of people who believe Kaiba is ONLY THIS WAY AND THIS WAY ONLY! (Some believe him to be an ace which is troublesome when you like a pairing with him)This makes it very hard to rec stories without fear of someone thinking you have poor taste.There are more people who have a stick up their butt about Kaiba than any other character in Yugioh. Least that I have seen. :/ Other than me, no one I know will dislike a well written story with an OOC Jonouchi in it.
2. The unfairness that the characters are treated. EVERYONE LOVES KAIBA SO MUCH MORE THAN JONOUCHI IT ISN’T EVEN FUNNY. More people will enjoy a story with Kaiba perfectly IC and Jonouchi completely OOC than the other way around. Infact, if someone manages a great Kaiba even I am willing to go “maybe they deserve the attention?” but at the same time it is so annoying to try and present how I think these two would be- ug. Arguing that Jonouchi is stronger than Kaiba in both body and mental health is one of the most losing battles I have. But that is how I feel.
3. How they are so hard to write in character AND romantically interested in each other. It is way too difficult to even get these two in the same room together much less find a reason to be “romantic” with one another. Remember, this is my OTP and I am saying how difficult it is to make them want to kiss. So much work!
4. I hate the stereo type that goes through peoples minds when I tell them I love puppyshipping. Immediately it jumps to some of the worst fanfics out there. Jonouchi crossdressing, working for Seto “Kiaba” and Kaiba calling him “puppy”, hugs, kisses cuddles, and they are now married because it was arranged or something. O.O; LOLwhut. No I don’t like any of that. I like the idea of Jonouchi taking care of Kaiba and Kaiba begrudgingly letting him because he has no real choice or even the other way around. I like survival stories or depressing events to bring these two together. I even enjoy some comical retardedness so long as it is self aware. But I don’t think I like any of the tropes at face value. There must be something more for me to like it. For the most part I like my puppyshipping very dark.
5. I don’t like it how Jonouchi is on bottom 99% of the time. No one even considers making him top. I kinda see Jou/Kai as equal and fighting. When I talk about my appreciation for Seme!Jonouchi/Uke!Kaiba I am either met with “I never thought of it before.” or … and this one is more often “Seto would never let someone top him.” *huffs* Really? REALLY? Nothing is more annoying than that phrase because it is like a brick wall. I couldn’t even rec something with Jonouchi on top at that point.
I am so guilty of some of these things.
I feel like a lot of my fics are fluff, but I can’t be sure (and I don’t remember) so I have this idea to catalogue all of my fics by POV and type (fluff, PWP, other) to see what things I gravitate to. (That might take a while.)
But then I go an do things like “Wrong” that are like, (in my very skewed option) so on point. (Sorry for the self-plug disguised as proof).
And then I have this neurotic, actually-a-softie, tsndere!Kaiba that I always fall back on.
I just have a lot of head-canons, okay? :P
#2? omg. SO guilty. (Sorry, Jou! I love you too bb, but…)
As for the fear of being the sterotyped puppyshipper, I feel that so much. Though more of it (for me) might also be because I’m generally very self-concious of what I think other people are thinking about me…
That being said, ODG the “puppy” thing? DO NOT WANT. (I’m probably guilty of that too.)
#5, guilty yet again.
I remember, probably inaccurately (like most things I remember), that I didn’t write any Seme!Jou fics when I was younger.
However, having now grown older, I do want to see more and write more fics where they are seen more like equals.
Will try to see how that works out…
- person: do you read fanfiction?
- me: no i have no idea what fanfiction is what no i dont read fanfiction about two of my favorite characters fucking WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WHO TOLD YOU THAT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS FANFICTION IS THAT A TYPE OF BREAD